Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Conrad Murray Found Guilty; Michael Jackson Still Gone Too Soon

Guilty. Dr. Conrad Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the criminal court case involving the death of music superstar Michael Jackson. I have been a lifelong fan of Michael’s and his music as many of you have. I really wasn’t paying very close attention to the Murray trial at all, though it was difficult not to hear about some of the proceedings since it was such a high profile case. I did hear the verdict as it read and while many of his fans worldwide rejoiced, I felt pretty much nothing.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that Michael’s family got some justice and I hope it eases their pain some. But my thing is Michael is gone and the proceedings in that court room was not going to bring him back. 

I didn’t know Michael personally but I had a lot of awesome memories of him. I was fortunate enough to see him perform live on a few occasions.  I have, like millions, enjoyed his records and videos over the years. He (and his brothers) was one the few people in life that I didn’t know that still had a positive influence on me.  Not only was the artistry brilliant but the dedication, the imagination, the determination was unmatched.

I was bothered to see so many folks tear him down over the years, it was downright embarrassing.  I recall so-called professional music critics starting to bash him with the “Bad” album and it progressively got worse after that. Just hearing or reading some of the critiques right away let me know that a lot of these so-called critics didn’t even really listen to the music. It was all about him being weird and how he would never match the “Thriller” album success. Unfortunately a lot of the public started doing the same.  His changes in his personal appearance didn’t help matters and the allegations of him being a child molester really tarnished his name. But folks weren’t listening to the music; people who weren’t his loyal fans just discarded him. When he passed away a lot folks changed their tune and they showed an outpouring of love for the music. As his music blared everywhere for a couple of weeks after his death, people rediscovered the old jams of his that they loved. I also heard a lot of people say how didn’t realize how good the full “Dangerous” “HIStory” and “Invincible” albums were; after he passed and there was nothing left but the music, they finally took time to listen.  Some people even keenly observed how some of his lyrics showed how connected to the world he was; his messages of healing the people of the world, healing the earth and other words about greed and despair has hit many folks close to home now.

I really wish I would have had the chance to meet Michael. I wish I could have had time to chat with him; there are so many questions I would have liked to ask him regarding the music, the performances, the family dynamic (as it pertains to the performing) and more.  My thoughts of him since his death have always been bittersweet. I’m appreciative of what joy I did receive from his work and still marvel and shake my head when I see the genius. But I’m saddened to know that we won’t get to hear anything new from him or see him again. I suspect I will always feel that way.  Murray being convicted and possibly going to prison for, at the max four years, didn’t change the feeling one iota.

No comments:

Post a Comment