Tuesday, November 8, 2011

RIP Heavy D

Wow. This was truly sudden and a big blow. Mount Vernon's finest Heavy D has left us at the age of 44. Dwight Myers (aka Heavy D) was a star in hip hop's Golden Era and he was unique; there definitely was no one else like him. Heav was also a real genuine dude. I used to work in the same building where Heavy's label Uptown Records had their headquarters. I ran into Heav quite frequently as I did many other artist on that label. No one was more down to earth than Heavy D; he always spoke and always engaged. The fame certainly didn't go to his head.

Heavy D will be remembered for his cool and suave demeanor. He made it cool to be a big fella. He wore the "overweight lover" moniker proudly. Not many could have pulled it off like he did. I think he helped make it easier for big guys like Notorious B.I.G. to gain acceptance.  I will always remember his hits like "Somebody For Me", "We Got Our Own Thing", "The Overweight Lover's In The House" and "Black Coffee". I'll always get jacked and rhyme the lyrics to the intro to "In Living Color" as I did back when that show was a smash hit. I'll remember the live shows I saw him at, where he did most of the dance moves his partners G-Whiz and the late Trouble T-Roy did. Big fella could get down!!! But mostly, I will remember that he was a good dude. Peace my brother, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment